Internal Auditor II
Hybrid in Houston, TX
12-month contract to hire
Within the Internal Audit & Controls department, an Audit Analyst II’s responsibilities include executing a wide range of financial, operational and compliance audits across the organization, including Sarbanes Oxley programs via performance of effective and detailed risk assessment procedures. This would be accomplished by demonstrating strong understanding of data flow across multiple applications, building meaningful sustainable relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and most importantly by manifesting a “thinking different” approach. The individual will take an active role in contributing to department’s strategic initiatives focusing on continuous improvement, cost savings, and increased automation. This role provides a great platform for the individual to learn about the Company’s business, policies & procedures and thereby offering multiple opportunities inside and outside the Internal Audit & Controls department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute scoping and planning activities as part of our SOX program, including performing risk assessments, data analytics and participating in rationalization efforts to strategically increase both the efficiency and effectiveness of the WM control environment.
- Complete walkthroughs and testing of key controls and core business processes
- Coordinate with process owners to collect documentation evidencing the effective performance of SOX activities, test execution and resolution of identified control failures.
- Assist as part of a cross-functional team in auditing activities of various business components, departments, and operations for:
- operational efficiency and effectiveness
- cost control and cash flow opportunities
- compliance with established plans, policies, procedures, controls, and applicable regulations
- Participate on projects that review financial and operational processes including the functionality of workflow, data sources, controls, efficiency, performance metrics, user roles, and alignment with strategy.
- Communicate effectively with employees at all levels across the organization, building strong relationships to advance Internal Audit and Controls (IAC) strategic initiatives and foster career development.
- Prepare ad hoc information requests in areas beyond assigned responsibilities.
- Determine effective data analytic techniques to aid in audit and control testing as well as audit plan development and programs.
- May provide support to less experienced auditors and conduct quality control reviews of audit work products.
- Prepare accurate and descriptive audit work papers and reports through interviews, document review, surveys, and other audit testing procedures.
- Draft presentations for various members of management that effectively and concisely communicate audit activities and solutions.
- Drive cost reduction and efficiency of audit and compliance activities by actively seeking ways to develop and implement improvements to audit methodology, client service and administrative processes.
- Bachelor’s degree (accredited) in relevant area, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and our (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Highly Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, data analytics, or other relevant area of study; advanced degree (e.g. CPA, MBA, MS-Accounting) is desirable.
- Three (3) years of experience with internal or external audit and/or SOX 404 compliance (in addition to education requirement).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Preferred: Certified Public Accountant
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Technical Proficiency: Knowledge of audit and controls practices including accounting principles (U.S. GAAP) and internal control frameworks (COSO and/or COBIT).
- Critical Thinker: Ability to quickly analyze, synthesize, and apply information to drive solution-based outcomes.
- Collaborative: Contribute to work within a team environment and build solid relationships with team members. Display strong interpersonal skills and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Accountable: Must be self-motivated and willing to take necessary actions to get the assigned tasks completed.
- Intellectual Curiosity: Desires the need to know the “why” through probing questions, moving beyond surface level understanding to get to the foundational ideas concerning a particular issue.
- Partnership Oriented: Build relationships with stakeholders across the organization to gain an understanding of their key processes/systems and the underlying internal control environment. Has ability to recognize and respond to diverse thinking styles, learning styles and cultural qualities.
- Flexible: Ability to multitask and adapt to dynamic audit plan and programs.
- Ability to travel as required to complete assignments.
- Analytical: Apply understanding of risk recognition in financial and operational processes with solid core analytical and problem-solving skills. Use of data analytics to present audit issues and project results.
Calculated Hire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.